Friday, May 12, 2023

Twitter CEO Linda Yaccarino—everything advertisers need to know


How has Yaccarino navigated her career being a woman in a male-dominated industry? 

“At least in my own experience, you get used to being a little lonely being one of the very few women in the room. You need to speak louder, work harder, repeat yourself. And quite often invite yourself to meetings or to events,” Yaccarino said during a 2019 roundtable discussion with other female ad sales chief of TV network groups.  

More: Yaccarino and female ad sales executives on rising to the top

During that conversation, Yaccarino recalled when she had her second child, the company that she was working for at the time only did promotions once a year. “It was when I was about to get my first VP stripe. And if you were in good standing, you were there a year, you got made a vice president. Once a year. Every January. So I have my second child, I’m on maternity leave, promotions come out. Well, I’ve got to look at that list again, I’m not on it. I called my boss at the time and I said, ‘What happened?’ ‘Oh, I’m sorry, company policy, if you’re on maternity leave you’re ineligible for a promotion. You have to wait another year.’ When I talk to younger people today, they can’t believe it.” 

Yaccarino also references the book “Drop the Ball,” by Tiffany Dufu. “One of the things she talks about…if there is a job description for a CEO position or senior position, women believe they have to have at least nine of the specific qualifications to even pick up the phone or schedule a meeting to interview. Men, you know how many? Three, and they go, ‘Oh, I’m good. I could learn it. I can talk it.’ Women don’t have that confidence. They’re not raised or nurtured in that way because they’re so task-oriented and don’t think, ‘My hard work or natural smarts is going to speak for itself.’” 



source



from Digital Marketing Education https://ift.tt/uLh0v7r

No comments:

Post a Comment